Recipe: Golden Ham Croquettes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 2 cups coarsely ground fully cooked ham
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in curry powder and flour. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in mustard and onion; add ham and mix well. Cover and chill thoroughly.
- With wet hands, shape mixture into 10 balls. Roll balls in bread crumbs; shape each into a cone.
- Whisk together egg and water. Dip cones into egg mixture; roll again in crumbs.
- Heat oil in a deep-fat fryer to 375°. Fry croquettes, a few at a time, for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- For the cheese sauce, melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheeses; stir until melted. Spoon over croquettes.